Vomiting is actually a defence mechanism of our body. It is the forceful expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth, and is nothing but our body’s reflex to remove toxic or harmful substances that have entered the stomach. However, nausea and vomiting can also be due to an infection, overstuffing, motion sickness, acid reflux or any other underlying ailments.
Dr. Health lists certain home remedies that can be very effective in preventing vomiting and getting rid of the feeling of nausea.
- If you have a feeling of nausea, a cup of ginger tea with some sugar should be the perfect option for you.
- Ginger is an effective anti-emetic. In case of nausea, chew a piece of ginger; it will make you feel better.
- If you feel like vomiting after you have had alcohol, eat some plain bread. Bread will soak the alcohol and take care of your digestive tract.
- A glass of lime juice is the easiest home remedy to prevent vomiting.
- Cardamom helps to get rid of the feeling of vomiting. Roast some cardamom and grind it into a powder, add some honey to it, and eat.
- Mint is another herb that helps to relieve nausea. Let some mint leaves steep in a cup of boiling water. Slowly, sip the mint flavoured water.
- Add equal quantities of lime juice and mint juice in a glass of water. Now, add some ginger juice and honey for flavour. Drinking this juice helps to alleviate nausea.
- Grind an onion to extract its juice. Have a spoonful of onion juice after every 30 minutes.
- Cranberry juice is considered to be a great remedy for avoiding vomiting.
- If you throw up, do not eat solid food for at least 8 to 10 hours. However, keep yourself hydrated with lots of fruit juices and water.
- Ample rest and sufficient sleep can help a great deal. So, if you feel nausea and the feeling refuses to subside, try to lie down and get some sleep.