Torticollis is a condition in which the muscles of the neck get damaged, cause pain and restrict movement. The ailment, also known as wry neck, occasionally develops in newborn babies, while people between 30 to 60 years of age are more prone to the condition. A person suffering from torticollis often experiences spasmodic pain during neck movements due to which the head tilts to one side, while the chin is turned to the other.
Some care and self help can help to control and ease the pain caused due to torticollis. Dr. Health shares some home remedies to control the condition and the spasms and pain in particular.
- Heat application can help to ease pain. Take a warm shower or pour down a stream of hot water on the affected area. A pulsating stream of hot water will relieve the muscle tension and provide some relief from the torticollis pain.
- Torticollis often gets aggravated when you sit in the same position for a long time. So, when you read, write or work at your desk for long wear a battery operated massager neck scarf.
- Also, do not sit in the same position for a long time. Take breaks in between, move your head, shrug your shoulders, and exercise the muscles by moving your neck in all directions.
- Do not hold your phone in between your shoulder and neck while making a long conversation.
- Avoid sudden jerks, as they may aggravate your problem, and you may have sudden spasms of pain. Use a comfortable neck pillow whenever you travel.
- A sudden spasm may occur if your neck experiences a sudden shock, jerk or discomfort. In such circumstances massage the affected area in circular motion with an ice pack.
- You can also get gel packs from a local medical store. These packs can be used as cool packs as well as hot packs by freezing and microwaving respectively. Wear a supportive sleeve and insert the pack under it so that it provides comfort.
- Getting adequate rest and using comfortable pillows while you sleep is also one of the important factors that helps in recovery.
- Torticollis may be aggravated by excess stress; try to avoid any kind of stress or tension.