Tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis is a painful condition of the elbow. The condition is either caused due to repeated movements of the wrist, forearm and elbow or old age. It is commonly seen in sports persons involved in racquet sports like tennis, and that is from where the condition gets its name. Overuse of the elbow causes inflammation, and eventually damage of the tendons that join the forearm muscles on the outside of the elbow. The pain is especially excruciating when one tries to lift some weight.
Apart from the medications prescribed by your doctor, certain amount of care, self help and home remedies can be of great help in fast recovery. Dr. Health shares a few home remedies for managing a tennis elbow and the pain associated with it.
- It is very important for a person suffering from the condition to take enough rest and not exert or overuse the inflamed muscles and joints.
- Do not try to lift weight when suffering from tennis elbow, as it can cause trauma to the forearm and elbow, and worsen the condition.
- If you are into sports, the best way to recover from the condition is to take a break and avoid playing till you recover completely. Your tennis elbow can worsen due to strain and activity.
- Applying heat to the affected area can help to get rid of the discomfort and pain caused due to tennis elbow.
- The heat and ice technique, which works for most of the muscle and joint pains, can also be applied in this condition. Apply ice packs on the affected elbow; the ice pack makes the elbow numb, and manages the inflammation of the muscles and resulting pain in a better manner.
- Gently massage the affected area with avocado oil. A massage soothes the muscles and provides relief from inflammation and pain.
- Calendula oil can also be used for massaging. If applied on the tennis elbow, twice a day, it reduces pain and inflammation.
- Pineapples can help to cure tennis elbow. Eat the fruit or drink its juice- whichever way you like it.
- A cup of green tea every morning is good for fast recovery in case of tennis elbow.
- Include wholegrain products and green vegetables like spinach, celery and broccoli in your daily meals. You can munch on blue berries and nuts in between meals.
- Celery is especially good for tennis elbow patients, as its consumption reduces inflammation and provides relief from pain. Drink celery juice or add celery extracts to warm water and drink it every day.
- Omega 3 fatty acids have an amazing capacity to reduce pain and inflammation of the joints. Include salmon and mackerel fish in your diet. You can also chew on some flax seeds after meals or any time during the day. It is an effective remedy for treating tennis elbow.
- Ginger is a magical herb and has plenty of medicinal properties. Drinking ginger tea and applying ginger poultice on the affected elbow effectively reduces inflammation and cures a tennis elbow.
- Milk, milk products, eggs, etc. are rich sources of minerals and vitamins. These foods help to restore the nutrient requirement of our body, and, hence, the process of healing is accelerated.