Skin abscess, commonly known as boils, is caused due to an infection which leads to pus filled abscess on the skin. It is either caused by an obstruction of sebaceous glands or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles, or minor breaks and punctures in the skin. Boils can occur anywhere on the body, however, they are more commonly observed on the face, gums, and buttocks. Skin abscesses can be extremely painful due to inflammation, redness and swelling.
There are various herbs, home-made pastes and other home remedies that can effectively treat skin abscesses. Dr. health shares a few:
- Add 30 drops of echinacea tincture and 60 drops of yerba mania tincture to a cup of warm water. Drinking this solution five times a day stimulates the immune system, and can mellow down the infection.
- You can also make a topical wash at home to cure skin abscess. Add 2 teaspoons of barberry juice, a tablespoon of white oak bark powder, a teaspoon of Oregon grape root (granulated) and a teaspoonful of echinacea root together in a container. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over this concoction. Let the herbs soak and steep in the boiling water for at least 3 to 4 hours. Strain the water and wash your face with it, three times a day. If you are concerned about an abscess in the gums, gargle with the infusion for a few minutes and spit out.
- Drink sufficient water to keep your body hydrated. It is the easiest and the best remedy for boils.
- A balanced diet is extremely important for fast healing. Include plenty of green vegetables and sea vegetables in your diet; they provide the required vitamins and minerals. Make sure you wash and cook the vegetables properly.
- Pineapple, which contains bromelain, helps to reduce the pain and inflammation due to skin abscess.
- Eating fried food slows down the process of healing in case of skin abscess. Hence, it is very essential to avoid all fried and fatty foods. Also, avoid foods that contain refined sugar.
- Turmeric is considered to be one of the most powerful healers. Mix some turmeric powder in castor oil and prepare a thick paste. Apply this on the skin abscess regularly to speed up the process of healing.
- Mix turmeric and aloe vera gel to form a paste. Apply this paste on the boil, cover with a soft cloth and keep it overnight. If this treatment is continued for 3-4 days, the skin abscess is sure to disappear.
- The anti-bacterial properties of turmeric make it a ingredient in various home remedies for treating boils. Mix it with Margosa leaves and prepare a paste. Apply it on the abscess and it will heal wonderfully.
- Another absolutely easy and effective remedy for skin abscess is to apply a paste of crushed fenugreek leaves. Apply this paste on the boils and let it dry. Soak a clean piece of cloth in warm water and wipe off.
- Apply potato and tomato extracts on the boils. The ingredients in these two vegetables help to relieve the inflammation and fasten the process of healing.
- Fresh lemon juice and garlic extracts mixed together works remarkably well on skin abscess. It might burn initially, however, these juices cure the boils by alleviating the infection.
- Mix dried orange peel powder with freshly extracted aloe vera gel to prepare a paste. The paste acts on the skin abscess and cures it within two to three days.
- Boosting immunity is the best way to get rid of the skin abscess infection. To boost your immunity, take vitamin C (1000 milligrams) and bioflavinoids (500 milligrams) three to four times every day.