Fertility is the ability of a female to conceive a child. Ovaries play the most important role in the female reproductive system, as they produce eggs. They release eggs, and one of them is fertilized by a sperm. This fertilized egg is transported along the fallopian tube into the uterus and implanted in the lining of the uterus. This is how a woman conceives, and the process is known as fertilization.
Certain abnormality in the development or functioning of ovary or uterus can cause fertility issues in women. Women can also face difficulty conceiving if the fallopian tube gets blocked due to pelvic inflammatory disease or infection in any the reproductive organs. A woman suffering from endomorphisms, a condition in which the tissue lining the inside of the uterus grows on the outer side, also faces problems in conceiving.
Fertility in women is at the peak during their early 20s, declines between the age of 25–30, and is generally lower after the age of 35. Apart from the age factor, there are also various external factors and lifestyle choices that hinder fertility in women. Taking care of certain things and following a suitable lifestyle can maximize the chances of conceiving.
Self help for boosting fertility:
- Maintain an ideal body weight (chances of conceiving are low if you are anorexic or obese)
- Eat healthy, balanced and nutritious diet.
- Alcohol consumption can damage the foetus hence cut down alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- The middle of the menstrual cycle is the most fertile time for a woman. Sex during this period can increase the chances of pregnancy.
- Stress causes a lot of ailments and also infertility. Meditation and alternative therapies to reduce stress and a positive attitude towards life can help.