A peptic ulcer is an erosion in the mucus membranes of stomach or duodenum (the upper portion of the intestine). They are mainly caused by the action of gastric acids or gastric juices. Peptic ulcer is caused by a bacterium called H. pylori, and is commonly found in the linings of the stomach. Men are more likely to develop this type of stomach ulcer compared to women.
- First and foremost, cut down of spicy, oily and acidic foods that may aggravate the problems of peptic ulcer.
- Follow diet that is rich in fibre and low in fats. If possible eat only steamed vegetables especially potatoes, tomatoes and broccoli. Milk, cream, butter, and fruits are also good for ulcer patients.
- Try to eat small portions of food to prevent excess production of acidic juices. However, keep eating small portions at regular intervals so that the acids do not harm the stomach linings.
- Include lots of cabbage in your diet. Drinking cabbage juice is a very good home remedy for peptic ulcers as suggested by studies. Crush the cabbage leaves, and prepare its juice. Drink it twice or thrice a day. However, make it a point to prepare fresh juice every time.
- Drinking a glassful of carrot juice helps to heal the stomach ulcer.
- If the ulcer gets worse, and if it oozes blood, take up organic diet – like organic baby food and brown rice water. It soothes the digestive system.
- Vitamin A heals the mucus membrane. So, increase the intake of Vitamin A, either through foods rich in the nutrient or by taking extra supplements.
- Taking Vitamin E will help to heal the damaged stomach linings, which may have got damaged due to peptic ulcer.
- Switch to diet that is low in salt. It will cure ulcer rapidly along with preventing hyper-acidity.
- Almond milk is beneficial for treating ulcers. It not only binds excess acid in the stomach but also supplies high-quality protein.
- Smoking and consuming alcohol should be strictly prohibited.
- Avoid taking pain killers. Also, stress may increase the symptoms of peptic ulcer, to avoid taking too much of stress.