Medically known as arthralgia, joint pain is one of the most commonly prevailing problem in the joints of the body. Though it is considered as a disorder, it is more of a symptom than a disorder. One may experience joint pain in case of any injury, infection or inflammation in the joints of the body and they may be due to arthritis, bursitis or any other damage in that particular area.
In a layman’s language, a joint is an area where two or more different bones meet. The various components of joints such as bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons provide support and stability to the body, and enable smooth functioning and motion of the various body parts. However, prolonged and excessive usage of these joints result into wear and tear, eventually causing joint pain. These troubles in the joints usually start showing up during middle age (45 to 50 years). However, due to irregular lifestyle, people in their thirties too have started encountering joint pain.
Types of Joint Pain:
Arthritis: Considered to be a serious condition, arthritis is a group of conditions wherein the joints are damaged, especially during old age.
Bursitis: Bursae are small sacks in the synovial fluid in the body. The main function of bursae is to allow smooth and frictionless movement of the joints. However, repetitive movement and excessive pressure on the joints may create inflammation in bursae causing bursitis, which results into pain in the joints.
Shoulder problems: Known as axilliary articulations, shoulder joint is a ball and socket type of a joint and the most flexible joint in the body. As it is a joint which can be fully rotated in circular motion it is an unstable one. It’s range of movement often proves damaging for the shoulders, not only resulting into joint pain, but also shoulder dislocation.
Knee pain: Due to its placement, knee joint is a joint that is frequently used. This joint is used while sitting, standing, walking and running, and is also a weight-bearing joint as it carries lot of weight of the body. Thus, chances of getting the knee joint injured are also more. Any damage in this joint curbs the flexibility of knees, thus leading to knee pain.
Hip pain: Hip joint is the conjunction between the legs and the torso of the body. Inflammation due to wear and tear of this joint causes pain in the hip joint.
Ankle pain & Wrist/ thumb pain: These joints too are frequently used in our day to day activities. Be it walking, running, typing, writing, eating or even gesturing, none of this work is possible without ankle or wrist joint. Thus, they have a high possibility of arthritis or joint pain.
Common Causes of Joint Pain
- If proper posture is not maintained while walking, sleeping, sitting and standing, it can be one of the major reasons for joint pain.
- Being overweight acts as a catalyst for joint troubles. It is one of the common causes for joint pain.
- Weak and brittle bones, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis cause pain in the joints
- Irregular lifestyle, lack of rest and occupational hazards contribute a lot to joint pain.
Remedies to relieve Joint Pain:
- Medication can provide relief from joint pain and other aches, however, it could be temporary. Mentioned below are a few quick and simple home remedies that can help you bid farewell to joint pain forever, and that too without any side-effects.
- Hot and cold fomentation of joints is a great pain reliever.
- Olive oil, eucalyptus oil, camphor oil or any ayurvedic oil massage for the affected area.
- Taking bath with warm/hot water is considered to be the best remedy for joint pain.
- Regular exercise, walking, cycling, swimming and Yoga asanas not only heal the joint pain, but prevent from further damage.
- Recovering from any damage to the body largely depends on your food and nutrition intake.
- Here are some foods that are sure shot remedies for joint pain:
- Consuming tea made out of papaya seeds
- Garlic roasted in butter
- Banana is one fruit that can help restore lost nutrients in the joints, thus, making them healthy
- Carrot juice helps to strengthen the ligaments
- Consuming warm milk with a spoonful of turmeric powder prevents or relives body aches and joint pain.
- Intake of lots of fluids will help to remove toxin from the body, and eventually prevent joint pain.
- Aged people should avoid sitting cross-legged for a longer period of time, as it may create pressure on knees and aggravate the joint pain in the knees.
- In extreme cases of joint pain, one may have to undergo surgery. It is known as joint replacement surgery, wherein the damaged joint is removed and replaced by an artificial joint, which is called prosthesis.