Pain is an unpleasant sensation, which is usually caused due to an injury or an ailment that causes discomfort, distress and agony. Pain is a feeling that is triggered in the nervous system and it is something that can only be described by the one experiencing it. The capacity to bear pain also differs from person to person. Pain plays a very important role in diagnosing a problem.
Pain can be of two types
Acute pain – It is a temporary condition, which gets resolved when the underlying ailment is cured. Acute pain can be caused due to an injury or other such reasons where the pain subsides once the wound is healed. In this case, pain becomes a reflex or a protective mechanism.
Chronic pain – It is a long term ailment and can range from mild to severe. It can be due to an underlying illness and make life difficult for the patient. In such cases pain management becomes very important.
Various ways and techniques involved in pain management
- Physical therapy and exercises
- Psychological counselling and therapy
- Alternative therapies like acupuncture, massage etc.
- Tropical remedies like applying a heat pack or ice pack or a pain relief balm
- Interventional procedures
A person suffering from an ailment that results in chronic pain can definitely reduce the intensity of pain by following certain pain management tips and lifestyle changes.
Self help and pain management tips
- Get adequate sleep and rest
- Relax your mind – try meditation, regular breathing exercises or listen to soulful music
- Use assistance accessories if necessary
- Take full care not to do anything that aggravates pain or causes exertion
- Do not miss or postpone appointment with your doctor
- Take regular medications as prescribed
- Avoid food and drinks that might aggravate pain or the underlying ailment
Pain management is very important when treating chronic ailments and diseases. It makes the life of a patient easier and enables the patient to deal with his illness in a better and healthier way, thus reducing his suffering.