Over-active bladder or urge incontinence is a condition in which there is a strong, sudden need to urinate even though the bladder may contain a small quantity of urine. This happens as a result of spasms or abnormal contractions of the muscles of the wall of the urinary bladder. The condition can have a major impact on one’s life. Just the thought that the need to urinate may trigger at the wrong time and embarrass you, may force you to avoid travel, vacations, and social gatherings.
The good news is that there’s no need to worry about such awkward situations any more, as Dr. Health suggests a few home remedies to nip the problem in the bud.
- One of the best ways to counter an over-active bladder problem is to exercise and strengthen your pelvic muscles. Pelvic muscles? What are they? To know, try this – next time you go to the bathroom to urinate, try to stop the flow in middle of the process and start again. The muscles that are used during this process are the pelvic muscles. Exercise these muscles by contracting them for 15 – 20 seconds and then relaxing them.
- Plan a schedule for urinating, and visit the toilet accordingly. This will help to set your body clock according to those timings and give you a better control over your bladder. You can start with a 2 hour gap between two visits and slowly increase the time to 4 hours.
- This may sound a little unbelievable but adequate fluid intake is very important for managing an over-active bladder. Less fluid intake can cause problems like dehydration and constipation, which can worsen the condition. Sip 2 to 3 ounces of water every 20 to 30 minutes between meals.
- Avoid alcohol and drinks like tea and coffee which contain caffeine, as they are diuretics and increase urination, worsening the condition.
- Smoking not only causes bladder irritation but also coughing spasms. These can in turn cause stress inconsistency and aggravate the over-active bladder problem. Quit smoking to see the difference.
- Obese and overweight people are at a greater risk of suffering from an over-active bladder. Hence, it is very important that you maintain an ideal weight, stay fit, and exercise regularly to overcome the problem.
- Include fibre rich foods in your diet. As fibre absorbs water, along with the problem of constipation, the over-active bladder problem too is solved.
- Pumpkin seeds have been used to cure this condition since ancient times. They are rich in essential fatty acids and effectively help to manage an over-active bladder.
- Ginseng is a very popular and widely used herb in the treatment of bladder problems. It treats the condition by relaxing the bladder.
- Corn-silk, which is obtained from the hair-like threads of corn has been used since ages in the treatment of urinary tract disorders and over-active bladder.
- An over-active bladder might be due to an allergic reaction to a certain food item. Scrutinize your daily diet to identify the item/s that trigger an allergic reaction. Avoiding these food items might help to overcome the over-active bladder problem.