Mastitis is a condition wherein the breast get infected when the bacteria enters the milk duct through cracked nipples. The condition is often experienced by breastfeeding women. It causes redness and swelling of breast, and thus, the process of breastfeeding may become painful. Mastitis is not a very serious condition, and you can breastfeed your baby even when you are suffering from the disease.
Mastitis can be cured with the help of antibiotics. However, taking medications at this stage may not be a very good idea. Hence, below are some tried and trusted home remedies that will not only provide you relief from the condition, but will help to cure the infection.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids to reduce the severity of infection.
- There’s is no need to avoid breast feeding. Maintain and follow the routine to breast feed your baby.
- Don’t over-exert yourself, take proper rest.
- Massage the breast towards nipples to cure mastitis
- If you experience difficulty in the flow of milk, or you have trouble emptying a portion of your breast, warm compression will help you. Either apply warm compresses on the breast or take shower with warm water before breast feeding.
- Wear a supportive bra.
- It is important to keep your breast empty.
- Take 3-4 teaspoon of dried rosemary, and add it into a glassful of boiling water. Steep the mixture once it is boiled, and let it cool. Drinking it will relieve the pain and reduce the infection in breast.
- Chewing the clove of raw garlic raises immunity and drains out the infection during mastitis. Take it with orange or swallow 2-3 cloves daily for speedy recovery.
- Applying Calendula cream on the affected breast will help to improve the condition.
- Take cabbage leaves and put it on the breast for 2 to 4 hours. There are high chances of it curing the infection within 24 hours.
- Take some water in a bowl and add white vinegar to it. Immerse the infectious breast into the bowl, so that the nipples can be soaked in the solution. Later, take few drops of the solution, pour on the nipples and let it dry. This can cure mastitis within a very short time.