Any disorder, disease, or a condition depicting abnormal reaction of body or development in the body may lead to risk and unfavourable consequences. Though gestational diabetes is a temporary condition, there is a high risk involved for the mother and child both.
There is a high risk for developing gestational diabetes in the following cases:
- If a you are older than 25 years when you are pregnant.
- If you have a family history of diabetes in either parents or siblings.
- If you gave birth to a child that weighed more than 9 pounds or a child with a birth defect.
- If you have a history of pregnancy induced high blood pressure or urinary tract infection
- If you have too much amniotic fluid
- If you have had a miscarriage or stillbirth
- If you are overweight before pregnancy