General care and guidelines for gestational diabetes
A cure to diabetes has not been found yet. However, there are several ways to control it:
- Maintaining blood glucose levels
- Maintaining blood fat levels
- Maintaining weight
- Changing meal plans
- Increasing physical activity
- Taking insulin
Diet and physical activities play a pivotal role during pregnancy, especially in case of women suffering from gestational diabetes.
Healthy eating habits and meal plan suggested by your dietician will keep your blood glucose levels in a safe range. Consulting a dietician will help you understand your body requirements in terms of food, and you will precisely know what to eat, how much and when.
The following guidelines are advisable:
- Limited intake of sweets
- Eat small meals and snacks in limited quantity and at regular intervals
- Be cautious about intake of carbohydrate-rich foods
- Add a lot of fibre to your food in the form of fruits, vegetables, cereals, bread etc.
- Walking can help to curb your diabetic condition to a great extent
It is the expectant mother’s prime responsibility to undergo a total health check-up and assure a healthy life for herself and her little bundle of joy!