Mumps is a contagious viral disease that spreads through germs transmitted from the coughing and sneezing of the infected person. Mumps is a condition in which the parotid salivary glands swell and cause pain. This infectious disease is common in children between the age of 5 and 15. Apart from the swelling of cheeks and the area below the cheeks and pain, mumps also cause headaches, loss of appetite, aversion to light, fever etc.
There are numerous herbs, plant extracts, and spices, which can be used in the treatment of mumps. Dr. Health suggests some simple home remedies for mumps.
- Mix a pinch of soda bicarb in a few drops of water. Apply this on the swelling, and wash off after a few minutes. Repeat the process at least 2 to 3 times during the day.
- Soak a piece of clean cotton or muslin cloth in mullein tea. Apply this over the swollen area. It will prove effective in getting rid of swelling and inflammation.
- Another great way of reducing swelling on the cheeks is application of a paste of asparagus and fenugreek seeds. Take both these seeds in equal quantities and grind until they form a thick paste like consistency, and apply on the affected area.
- Margosa leaves are very useful in combating inflammation. Make a paste of margosa leaves and turmeric powder, and apply it on the swollen area of cheeks and under the ears.
- Grind some fresh ginger and mix it with water. Apply it on the swelling on cheeks and below the ears. It reduces the swelling and also helps to reduce pain.
- Banyan tree leaves are also used in order to reduce the swelling. Smear these leaves with some ghee (clarified butter) and heat on a flame. Place these leaves on the affected area and bandage. Remove after a couple of hours.
- Peepal tree leaves are also said to counter mumps. Similar to the banyan tree remedy peepal tree leaves can also be smeared with ghee and heated on a flame, and then bandaged on to the affected area for effective relief from discomfort and swelling.
- Some ayurvedic concoctions like amlaki, guduchi and dashamula can help to counter viral infections like mumps.
- Chebulic myroblan is a miracle herb that can treat mumps. Make a thick paste of this herb and apply over the affected area for immediate relief.
- Drink orange juice for fast recovery. A person suffering from mumps should include fruit juices in his/her daily diet. Apart from orange juice, juices of fruits like apple, grapes and pineapple are also very beneficial.