Cholera is an infectious water-borne disease of the intestine caused by intake of contaminated water or food. It is caused by the bacteria – Vibrio Cholerae. Cholera is very common among children below the age of five. However, it is not only restricted to them, as the disease is experienced by each one of us at some or other age. Cholera leads to watery and smelly stools, which if not treated on time, can lead to dehydration and serious conditions.
Hence, here are some home remedies that may help you in rapid recovery from cholera:
- First and foremost, drink lots of water to cure cholera. Diarrhoea caused due to cholera can cause dehydration. Hence, high intake of sterilised water will help a lot.
- Prepare a solution with water, sugar and salt. Give this to the patient at regular intervals to cure cholera.
- Ensure that the patient is always given boiled or sterilised water.
- Orange juice or fresh lemon juice to help to fight the bacteria that cause cholera.
- Take one onion and few whole black peppers. Pound both together and make a fine paste. Give two to three doses of this mixture to the patient. It is one of the common and effective remedies for cholera. Onion helps to quench thirst and prevents restlessness. Hence, the patient may feel better.
- Prepare herbal tea by boiling the root bark of guava. Sieve the remains and drink the water. The root bark contains tannins, and cure vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Consider a light diet till the time you are suffering from cholera. Include more of rice flakes or corn flakes, which may not be difficult to digest. If you having vegetable soup, make it a point to add black pepper or rock salt for their beneficial properties.
- Take a bowl of water and add few pieces of clove in it. Boil it till the water becomes half of the quantity taken. Let it cool, and consume at regular intervals.
- Take a glass of buttermilk. Add a pinch of cumin seed powder, and rock salt and stir well. Drink it at least once or twice a day. This is one of the effective remedies curing diarrhoea.
- Avoid food that is spicy, oily, junk and cold drinks. Milk too may cause irritation in intestine, and hence, it should be avoid if your are suffering from diarrhoea.
- Onion, vinegar, mint and lemon are a must for patients of cholera. They not only first the bacterial infection in the intestines, but also help in quick recovery from diarrhoea.
- Consume juice prepared out of equal quantities of bitter gourd and onion. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix together and have it at least twice a day. The taste may not be very favourable, but it may prove to be highly effective for curing cholera.
- Prepare a black herbal tea by boiling black pepper, mint leaves, basil (tulsi) and ginger, and consume it. It is considered to be one of the good therapies to recover from cholera and diarrhoea.