Heavy menstruation is a very common problem in women. It can be very uncomfortable and a deterrent in day to day activities. Prolonged and heavy bleeding can also lead to anaemia and other problems related to excessive loss of blood. There may be various reasons behind heavy menstruation, and it can happen to anyone, however, it is more common in women approaching menopause.
Home remedies and self-help tips
- Heavy menstruation causes weakness and fatigue. It is essential to take adequate rest and restrict certain movements during this time. Do no exert yourself or lift heavy loads during your periods.
- Sleep deprivation can worsen your problem; make sure you sleep for at least 8 hours during the night. Take extra precautions during the night so that you are not worried about staining and can sleep peacefully. Put some cushions under your legs when you lie down. Elevating the legs helps to lessen bleeding.
- Put a cold compress on your abdomen and lie down for some time.
- Cook a banana flower and mix it in curd. Eating this increases the progesterone levels in the body and reduces excessive bleeding during periods.
- Boil 20 grams of coriander seeds in 2 cups of water. Reduce it until only ½ cup of water remains, and let the concoction cool down. Consuming this concoction effectively reduces bleeding.
- Grind some mustard seeds into a fine powder. Add ½ teaspoon mustard powder in milk. Drink the milk twice a day to curb excessive bleeding.
- The sacred fig leaves are effective in controlling heavy menstruation. Extract the juice of these leaves, and take it twice a day during heavy flow.
- The bark of the Ashoka tree is widely used in ayurveda to stop heavy menstruation. Grind the bark of the Ashoka tree into a fine powder. Add 25 gm of this power to 200ml water, and put it to boil. Let the water boil till it reduces to 50ml. Now add 50 ml milk to the water and boil until the mixture reduces to half. Filter the mixture and let it cool. Take 20- 30 ml of this mixture, every morning. This concoction should be freshly prepared, every day.
- Add a tablespoon of garden sage in a cup of hot water. Allow the herb to steep for 5 minutes and then drink it. Sage prevents blood clotting, and is an effective remedy for heavy bleeding during periods.
- Include foods like potatoes, molasses, pumpkin seeds, apricots, etc. in your diet as they are rich in iron. Iron rich foods make up for the iron loss caused due to excessive bleeding.
- Heavy menstruation can also happen as a result of manganese deficiency. Eating manganese rich foods like oats, cocoa, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, and sesame seeds can be of great help in order to control the profuse bleeding during menstruation.
- The above mentioned remedies will, in most of the cases, prove to be beneficial. However, if heavy menstruation is becoming an obstacle in your daily activities, or if the heavy periods continue for more than 7 days, you must consult a gynaecologist.