Eyes enable us to see. All our day to day activities would be difficult to perform without them. Good eye care, thus, becomes crucial. Eye care includes regular monitoring and upkeep of the eyes. It is also very important to eat nutritious food, and exercise as well as rest the eyes. Follow these simple steps for maintaining healthy eyes, well into your old age.
Eye care tips
- Regular eye check-up is a must. This will help your eye specialist to identify problems if any, before it is too late.
- It’s essential to keep your eyes clean. Maintain adequate hygiene by washing them in clean running water every morning and night.
- Use best quality eye make-up and sunglasses. Always consult a specialist before choosing the right pair of glasses or contact lenses.
- Exposure to ultraviolet rays can be harmful to the eyes. Even if your contact lenses claim to protect against UV radiations, always use sunglasses while stepping out in the sun.
- Never wash your eyes or take a shower with your contact lenses on. Always read the instructions on the cover of contact lenses, and follow them accordingly. Do not sleep with your contact lenses on.
- Never rub your eyes. If there is irritation due to any foreign particles, try to wash it off with water, or pull the upper eyelid over the lower and try to blink, it induces tears and removes the dirt.
- Do not forget to check the expiry date on the cover of your eye make-up kit, eye care products or eye drops. Avoid sharing your eye make-up, contact lenses and sunglasses etc. with anyone else.
- Do not sleep with your eye make-up on. Remember to wipe it off gently before bedtime. Use a cotton bud dipped in baby oil to remove eye make-up.
- Most of us, most of the time, are busy with our iphones and computers. Using these gadgets for longer periods can take a toll on the eyes. Make sure that you take frequent breaks and do some eye exercises. Install an anti-glare screen on your computers.
- If you have a deadline to meet and cannot afford many breaks, make sure that every 30 minutes you look away from your PC, and focus on a distant object for 5 to 10 seconds, and then get back to your work.
- While you work on a computer for long hours, position your chair such that the computer screen and your eyes are at the same height.
- Sufficient sleep is the most important aspect of maintaining healthy eyes. Sleep deprivation causes fatigue, which in turn causes eye strain. Get adequate sleep, as it provides enough rest to the eyes, and helps them to rejuvenate and regain the lost energy due to strain caused during the day.
- Give up smoking. It is one of the foremost reasons that cause wrinkles around the eyes. Macular degeneration in the eye is more common in people who smoke than those who do not. Some studies have also claimed that smoking can even cause this condition.
- A healthy and balanced diet is very essential for healthy eyes. Vitamin A, C and E have antioxidant properties, and are considered exceptionally good.
- Eggs, almonds, raspberries, oranges, kiwis, broccoli, green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach, green peas, beans, brussel sprouts etc. are considered to be wonder foods for healthy eyes. Include them in your diet.