When we speak of oral hygiene, the focus is generally on prevention of cavities. But we forget that it is equally important to pay attention to the health of our gums. Health of gums plays a major role not only in maintenance of dental health, but in our overall well-being.
Inflammation of gums or other gum-related diseases can lead to bad breath, painful abscesses and falling of teeth as well. Hence, it becomes very important to pay attention to oral hygiene in general.
Here are some home remedies that Dr. Health suggests for keeping your gums healthy.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it for at least 30 seconds. This remedy helps to reduce the swelling in gums and soothe the pain.
- If the gums are swollen and are bleeding, place a wet tea bag on the affected area in your mouth; this can be immensely helpful. Tannic acid present in tea acts as a powerful astringent, and shrinks the swelling and stops the bleeding.
- If your gums are swollen and there is pain as well, apply ice packs on the affected area in the mouth. Rubbing clove oil or baby teething gel can also help to reduce the pain.
- Sore muscles of your gums can be massaged gently with a thumb and index finger. Massaging the gums boosts blood circulation and soothes the muscles, helping them to recover.
- If you are suffering from gingivitis, rinsing your mouth with chamomile tea can prove quite beneficial. Pour a cup of hot water over the chamomile herb, and let it steep for about 10 minutes. Strain the water and use it for rinsing.
- Rinsing your mouth with Sage tea is also a great home remedy to cure an inflammation or infection and to boost the healing process.
- Take 200ml warm water and add 10 drops of myrrh extracts to it. Rinse your mouth and gargle daily with this mixture. Myrrh has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It thus helps to prevent any type of gum problems and maintain good oral hygiene.
- Gum diseases can lead to periodontal osteoporosis. Hence, it becomes necessary to maintain healthy gums. Having a diet rich in calcium can help.
- Eating foods rich in vitamin C and calcium is essential for maintaining overall oral health. Foods like salmon, dairy products and almonds are good for your teeth and gums. Also include citrus fruits, fruit juices, broccoli, etc., in your daily diet.
It is very important to maintain oral hygiene, and you can do it by brushing your teeth and flossing regularly and also by rinsing your mouth thoroughly after every meal. The above mentioned home remedies are very easy to follow, and will provide help to counter problems related to gums.