Chikungunya is a viral infection, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infested aedes aegypti mosquito. The common symptoms include high fever, swelling of joints and pain, muscle pain, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, and rashes. As the disease spreads through bite of aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which breed in stagnant water. It is thus important to keep our surroundings clean and not let water accumulate in containers, birdbaths, coolers, pools, potted plants etc., especially during the monsoon season.
The symptoms of chikungunya can be successfully treated with these home remedies, which ensure a fast recovery.
- The chikungunya virus develops in the liver. Coconut water has the ability to detoxify the liver and flush out the virus. Thus, drinking coconut water proves to be quite beneficial in case of chikungunya.
- Basil or tulsi leaves boost our immune system, hence enhancing our ability to fight diseases. Chewing on basil leaves everyday can help to reduce fever in chikungunya.
- In order to ward off the chikungunya symptoms and regain energy, take dry, seedless grapes with cow milk, everyday.
- Mix garlic paste or clove oil with powdered pepper, and apply this mixture on the painful joints. This eases the joint pain and helps you recover quickly.
- Add Epsom salts in a bath tub filled with warm water and soak yourself in it for a few minutes. This relaxes the body and provides relief from pain. You can also add some neem leaves to the bath.
- Raw carrots, which boost the immune system and help in easing joint pain prove to be highly beneficial for a person suffering from chikungunya.
- Ashwagandha is an immunity booster, and is considered to possess great medicinal properties. Chewing on leaves of the ashwagandha herb helps to build up our body’s immunity to fight back the infection.