Burns and scalds are injury to flesh caused by heat, electricity, chemicals, light, radiation or friction. Mostly they only affect the skin. Rarely, deeper tissues, such as muscle, bone, and blood vessels can also be injured. Managing them is important because they are common, painful and can result in disfiguring and disabling, scarring, amputation of affected parts or death in severe cases.
Home Remedies for burns & scalds
First degree burns are usually the result of domestic accidents. They are mild will generally heal well and naturally and well with the help of quick first aid and home remedies. Mentioned here are few herbal home remedies that quicken the healing process.
- First and foremost, put the affected part of skin under chilled, running water for at least 15-20 minutes. This will prevent further and deeper damage of the layers of skin. Once you have cooled the area, apply a thin, wet cotton cloth on the area to keep it cool.
- Take a napkin and soak it with ice-cold milk. Put this napkin on the burns for a minimum of 20 minutes. Repeat the remedy at regular intervals.
- Leave the burn open for about 24 hours and allow it to heal. In case, the blister bursts, clean the affected area with an antiseptic. Cleanliness and hygiene is a must during this time to ward off infection.
- Let burns dry and heal for about a day or two. After which you can begin the treatment with the help of herbal healers.
- Apply the gel from a freshly cut Aloe Vera leaf. It’s properties to cool and act as a natural antiseptic soothes the burns and eases the pain. It also moistens the skin and prevents bacteria from infecting the area. Repeat the application twice or thrice a day.
- You can apply honey on the burns, it is equally effective. It heals quickly and lessens the pain. It even helps to remove the marks or scars caused by burns.
- Apply ointments, creams or gels that have camomile, calendula (obtained from marigold) or echinacea as its prime ingredients. All the three have the ability to heal naturally & quickly. If available, try taking Cantharis (homoeopathic potion) orally. Repeat the intake every hour.
- Eat food items rich in Vitamin C & E. They help generating new cells and speeds up the process of healing by promoting formation of new skin.
- Leeks or spring onions as they are commonly known, though not used today, were considered to be one of the most effective remedies in olden times. It helps prevent infection because of its antiseptic properties.
- In case of scalds due to piping hot food or drink, immediately rinse your mouth and gargle with cold water till it eases your burning sensation considerably. If available, suck ice cubes. This stops the stinging or biting sensations and suppresses the scalds.
- After the initial measures, take half a tea-spoon of salt and dissolve it in a glass of warm water. Gargle and wash your mouth with this salt solution as it works as an antiseptic. It cleans and disinfects your mouth thus protecting the scalded area from further infection.
- If you are suffering from scalds, avoid hot drinks and spicy food for few days to hasten the healing process and avoid irritating the damaged skin.
- Having Aloe Vera juice is a sure shot therapy to recover from oral scalds.
- Say no to butter or ghee (butter oil): It is a myth that smearing butter on burns gives relief. Applying fat to burns is as good as adding fuel to the fire. It will hold in the heat, instead of cooling the area, making the situation worse.
Remember that proper measures in case of burns and scalds not only ease your pain, but also reduce the chances of scarring caused by the same. Try the tested remedies see the difference.