A bruise occurs when capillaries and venules (the tiny blood vessels that supply blood to tissues near the skin) are damaged by a blunt impact, causing blood seepage into the surrounding interstitial tissues. The clotted, pooled or jammed blood causes a blue, black, purple, green or red mark on the skin. Bruises can involve capillaries at the level of skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle, or bone.
- Normally bruises fade within 10-15 days. However, remedies definitely help ease the pain, making the discolouration fade and curing it faster. There are several home remedies that can come to your rescue when you are black and blue due to bruises:
- Applying an ice pack as soon as possible will cool the blood vessels near the damaged area. It stems the leakage of blood. Ready made gel-filled ice packs that are available in the market for this purpose. In case, you do not have one, a pack of frozen peas wrapped in towel would suffice.
- You can soak a napkin in chilled water, and keep it on the bruise for about 10 minutes. Repeat the same after about 20 minutes to avoid over-chilling.
- Cool the area for 24 hours and then start applying heat to bring more circulation to the affected area. This helps clear the pooled blood. You can use heating pad or hot water bottles on frequent intervals for the same.
- Wrap an elastic bandage around the bruised area. By squeezing the tissue, bandage acts as a tourniquet and helps prevent further damage to the area by stopping the damages blood vessels from leaking.
- Comfrey, a herb has several medicinal uses. It has properties that reduce swelling and increase the growth of new cells and it also prevents discolouration. Add few leaves of comfrey into boiling water and leave it for about 10 minutes, let it cool. Soak a napkin in the solution and apply it to the bruise and skin around it for an hour. Do not drink the solution or apply on the broken skin.
- Take a couple of parsley leaves, crush them and spread them over the bruise. Lightly wrap a bandage on it. Parsley leaves, rich in vitamins have a great healing power besides decreasing inflammation and reducing pain.
- Mixing vinegar in warm water and applying on the bruised area quickens the healing process. Vinegar helps to increase the blood flow near the skin’s surface and clears the pooled occult blood near the bruise.
- Aloe Vera, brings relief to the bruise due to its cooling properties. You can apply it even on skin broken skin.
- In case of deep bruise or broken skin, sprinkle turmeric powder on the wound. It helps to stop bleeding and its antiseptic properties prevent infection.
- Heavy intake of fluids, diet rich in vitamin C and garlic helps in curing the bruises faster.
- Supplements like magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin E are highly recommended to replace damaged tissues and skin, at the earliest.
Sometimes bruises can be serious, leading to more life-threatening haematoma when associated with serious injuries, including fractures and more severe internal bleeding. In injuries to sensitive parts like head resulting in a bruise it is advisable to call a doctor immediately. In normal cases, the above mentioned home remedies shall ease your pain and cure your malady.