Acne vulgaris (acne) is a common human skin condition, characterized by scaly red skin, blackheads and whiteheads, papules, pimples, nodules (large papules) and possibly scarring. These growths are commonly called pimples or ‘zits’. Acne mostly affects skin on the face, the upper part of the chest, and the back.
Home Remedies for Acne:
- Acne, being very common among men and women, has many home remedies that have been tried and tested since time immemorial. Below are few examples:
- Applying a drop of tea-tree oil on the pimples or blemishes may provide relief to a great extent. Apply it thrice a day to reduce infection and speed up the healing process.
- One to two cups of chaste-berry tea regulates female hormone and reduces the sudden flaring up of pimple before menstrual cycle.
- Apply a mixture of nutmeg powder and honey on the affected area for 20 minutes. Honey has been used for its antiseptic qualities. It may not subside acne, but it will definitely reduce the inflammation of skin.
- Aloe vera is a sure shot remedy for any skin infection, eruption or irritation. It heals nearly 90% of all skin sores within five days. Cut a fresh leaf from an aloevera plant commonly found in the gardens. Cut the leaf vertically, remove the gel and apply it on the blemishes.
- Lemon juice and vinegar contain acids which flush out all the dirt from the skin pores and clean it, thus reducing the chances of acne.
- Tried and tested formula is of applying toothpaste on the outbreak of pimple before going to bed. It subsides it and prevents the further growth of the pimple or boil.
- Irregular digestive system can be one of the reasons for acne. Drinking a glass of warm water daily in the morning would help to keep the bowels and digestive system clean and trouble-free.
- Drinking wheat-grass juice may prevent acne.
- Applying ground orange peel on the affected skin can heal acne problems.
- Turmeric is well known for its antiseptic qualities. Make a paste of turmeric mixed with mint juice. Apply it for 30 minutes and rinse it off.
- Applying a mixture of rose water and lime juice and wiping it off with a cotton ball can work as astringent/ cleanser for your skin. Repeat it daily, before going to bed.
However, none of the home remedies promises to work with immediate effects. And it is important to follow a particular remedy on daily basis. Starting from day one, give your skin at least a month to heal and cure of acne troubles. All the home remedies mentioned above will take at least a month or more (depending upon your skin type) to show its results.